Category Archives: Health
Some brands of fresh stir-fry, salad mixes, and veggie platters are being recalled due to possible Listeria contamination. Listeria contamination symptoms include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, and severe headache. Pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are especially at risk.
Important to note: Those contaminated veggie products have a Best Before dates between Oct. 12 and Oct. 17. and they entail brands suchs as: Mann’s, Compliment, and Western Family.
Read more at the CFIA website.
You may not be aware of this, but keeping the same sunglasses for longer than 2 years can damage your eyes.
Sunglasses should be changed every two years to protect eyes from sun damage say scientists
Exposure to the sun is now believed to wear down the protective lensing of your sunglasses, causing damage to your eyes, and Designer sunglasses now have a shelf life of only two years. Scientists have undertaken studies to measure the scale of deterioration due to exposure to the sun and have confirmed that if sunglasses aren’t replaced, the wearer runs the risk of long-term degeneration of vision.
The aim is to ensure lenses have sufficient UV filters as inadequate levels could affect the cornea and internal structure of the eye. When this happens, edema or swelling to the eye can cause distorted vision. Pterygium or the growth of fleshy pink tissue on the white of the eye can also affect vision while other side effects can result in retina damage or cataracts.
This is a lesson, to not take your eyes for granted and take care of your eyes, your vision is all you have.
You may not know this or value it enough, but your Kidney is one of the most important organs in your body and neglecting it endangers your health. Your kidney filters your blood, produces hormones, absorbs minerals, produces urine, eliminates toxins, and neutralizes acids. It is for this reason that you must really take care of your kidneys and avoid any harm to them.
Here are some things that you may not be aware are harming you but are simply killing you slowly:
- Not Drinking Enough Water: When you don’t drink enough water daily, your toxins and waste material start to accumulate and can cause severe damage to your body, as your kidneys need the water in order to filter blood and eliminate toxins and waste materials.
- Consuming too much Salt: Ingesting too much salt can raise your blood pressure and put a lot of stress on the kidneys so keep your daily intake low.
- Delaying your need to go to the washroom: This is without a doubt very problematic to the Kidney and although you may feel that you simply have no time or you need to get things done before taking that quick break, it is a bigger problem than you know, especially if it is on a regular basis as retaining urine increases urine pressure and can lead to kidney failure, kidney stones, and incontinence. Once in a while is okay, but making it a habit is a no go.
- Consuming too much Sugar can be very unhealthy for you: Consuming high sugars during the day causes you to have protein in your urine and having protein in your urine is an early sign your kidneys are not doing their job as they should.
- Not Consuming enough Vitamins and Minerals: This is crucial for a healthy body and any deficiency in your daily diet can increase the risk of kidney stones or kidney failure.
- Over-consumption of Animal Protein is a thing: Red meat, especially, can increase the metabolic load on your kidneys which makes your kidneys work much harder and finally lead to a dysfunction.
- Sleep deprivation is a big No No: Constant sleep deprivation is linked to many diseases including Kidney. During the night your body repairs damaged kidney tissue and depriving it from sleep only defeats that purpose.
- Too much Caffeine is damaging to your body: Caffeine can raise blood pressure and put extra stress on your kidneys.
- Excessive use of painkiller: Abuse painkillers can lead to severe damage of liver and kidneys, and many tend to use painkillers for the most minor of pains as habits appear, but that is simply damaging your organs. Natural remedies should be considered before painkillers.
- Alcohol over-consumption: Just as the Liver can’t handle too much alcohol, alcohol is actually a toxin that puts a lot of stress on our kidneys too and causes its own damages.
So, point to be taken here is that there always needs to be a healthy balance to your diet, including all the necessary nutrients and consuming everything within healthy portions, including Staying ACTIVE, which should never be forgotten! Stay wary of your body and mind, Keep a healthy Balance and stay Safe!
Enjoy life with a Heavy Touch of Health and Care!
It hurts me so much to see people really believe in this crap called DIET Coke, DIET Sprite, DIET Gingerale, and the list goes on.
Does it make sense to you that this very sweet tasting drink is 0 Calories, no sugar, and supposed to keep you on a lower scale?
Let me guest, trying to stay healthy while substituting sugary drinks for diet drinks in droves of in-taking less sugar staying healthy. Well evidence has emerged to refute that rationale.
I know you all have a brain, please use it with me for a few minutes and assess how this all makes sense.
It is all ARTIFICIAL! It is all Lies.
You need more proof then what is already out there, Here you go!
A study with National Post has been done that shows that
People who drink diet soda daily are almost three times more likely to develop stroke, dementia.
I have been telling people for years now … Sweetener does not make you lose weight, it makes you GAIN weight through METABOLIC SYNDROME, You cannot burn it, you slow your fat burn process! Watch this video and see WHY?!
So What is MCT?
Don’t worry, I just learned about it too. I was looking into the Ketosis, which included the intake of MCTs in the diet… So, I ended up focusing on MTCs instead of the Ketosis as a whole.
If you don’t know what that is, Ketosis is when your body is burning ketones for energy instead of glucose (carbs/sugar), but that will be a blog for another day.
“MCTs are medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management.
Rich sources for commercial extraction of beneficial MCTs include palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Coconut oil has roughly 65% of MCTs, and other lower sources of MCT are also found in butter, cheeses, whole milk and full-fat yogurt.
What makes MCTs a top source of essential healthy fats? Medium-chain fats are digested easily and sent directly to your liver, where they have a thermogenic effect and the ability to positively alter your metabolism. This is one reason why many people claim that MCTs, including coconut oil, are burned by the body for energy, or “fuel,” instead of being stored as fat.
Now, some amazing health benefits of MCT are:
- Weight Loss or Weight Maintenance
- Heart Health: it helps help decrease cardiovascular disease and mortality risk due to its metabolic component as it helps lower obese risk.
- Improved energy levels and mood; Your brain is largely made up of fatty acids, MCTs give you that supply from your diet to feel great and think positive, with its vitamins and minerals.
- Improved digestion and absorption of nutrition, by balancing bacteria in the gut and its ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.
Medium-chain fats can help kill a wide range of pathogenic viruses and strains and bacteria that cause digestive issues, including candida, constipation, diarrhea, food poisoning, stomachaches and so on.
- Its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties: MCTs are able to reduce bad bacteria without harming or removing good bacteria. they are also a powerful and natural antibiotics that help balance bacteria in the gut.
- they are great for cooking with, as they don’t oxidize from heat easily and can withstand high temperatures, while still not becoming rancid or losing its nutrients.
Anyways, I won’t get too into it, because this graph will explain it all in a nutshell.
What’s coming to your mind? Let me guess, Edamame, celery, all that healthy jazz, … Not even, I am talking about Popcorn. Yes Popcorn.
Why? One big reason is because of the high Polyphenol content within it.
Polyphenols are a type of chemical found in plant foods that help neutralise free radicals that damage your cells and contribute to rapid aging. Popcorn has one of the highest levels of polyphenols of any plant food or fruit.
Per serving, plain popcorn contains nearly twice as many polyphenols as the average fruit, according to the preliminary results of a laboratory analysis presented today at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society.
A single serving of popcorn – about two tablespoons of unpopped kernels – contained up to 300 milligrams of polyphenols, the researchers found. By contrast, the average polyphenol content of fruit is about 160 milligrams per serving, while a single serving of sweet corn contains 114 milligrams.
Popcorn is one of the healthiest, low calorie munchies. It is a whole-grain food and a great source of fiber.
We also cannot forget, Popcorn is also PACKED with Antioxidants.
Some types of polyphenols are pigments, and in fruit the biggest concentrations tend to be found in the skin and seeds. Similarly, the hull or outer skin of the corn kernel – the stuff that gets stuck in your teeth when you’re munching away – was the richest polyphenol source.
And this is where your antioxidants and your fiber lies, so don’t go throwing them out.
Now, don’t run too fast, Popcorn is Healthy, but be careful what you call Popcorn.
Movie popcorn, drenched with butter, full of sweet crap… that’s NOT healthy popcorn. That one is simply synthetic factory fats and processed salt used to flavor popcorn and overrides any health benefits.
Microwave popcorn and pre-popped varieties, also NOT healthy popcorn, as it is loaded with chemicals such as partially hydrogenated oils and synthetics for flavouring and colouring.
The best, Healthiest Popcorn to have is the one YOU MAKE, by getting organic kernels and popping them yourself with coconut oil for taste and health. You want to add some flavour? Try Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, Parmesan cheese, oregano or even basil.
Now, remember that popcorn is 100% whole grain; and eating more whole grains has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
However, as with anything, just because it is healthy and beneficial, over-eating it will have it’s consequences.
Corn that is not soaked or sprouted prior to cooking contains anti-nutrients that can inflame digestion if consumed to excess.
Allergic to corn? No problem, try Popped Sorghum, which is India’s popcorn alternative.
You want to make your own popcorn and don’t know how, check out how:
For more details, see:
Celery is not the most Tasteful… but Damn is it Beneficial!
Celery is an under-Rated vegetable as many of us think its just Water and Crunch, but it is much more; as it is a good source of calcium, vitamins, potassium and magnesium.
What Other Benefits?
- Celery has Anti-Canceous properties, with its rich component called Luteolin which helps to lower the growth of Cancer cells in the pancreas.
- It contains Phthalide and pottassium which helps to lower blood pressure by reducing the production of stress hormones.
- Celery also helps maintain a normal cholesterol and regulating Vitamin D. Also includes 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh), a component with the function of lowering cholesterol and maintaining a healthy heart. The Chicago University study showed that two stalks of celery a day can reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) by up to 7 points.
- Celery is healthy for the eyes too, as it contains Vitamin E and antioxidants like flavonoids and polyphenol phytonutrients, which keeps the eye moisturised.
- Hippocrates, the father of medicine, wrote that Celery is a vegetable that can be used to calm our nerves and provide a great relief to joint pains, asthma, acne or lung infections. Celery’s special benefit is its components to help reduce inflammation.
- Celery helps boost a man’s fertility, as Dr. Alan R. Hirsch, Director of the Smeel and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, says :
Two pheromones in celery–androstenone and androstenol–can boost your arousal levels. Another good news is celery oil has been found effective in boosting the number and motility of sperm, when it is used together with vitamin E.
- These stalks improve digestion which allows your body to absorb better nutrients, with its high water content, and the NBP (a healthful compound) in the vegetable as it improved circulation in the intestines and helping the body to detox.
- Finally, it helps you lose weight as it is low in calorie (10 calories per large stalk) and rich in nutrients like magnesium and potassium, as previously mentioned. Celery helps you regulate lipids and fats in the body which controls metabolism and restricts obesity. Not to mention, in reality, you are losing more weight chewing on that stalk more than anything else. So moral of the story, eating celery makes you lose weight, and don’t take that lightly because it’s true.
For more details and some Celery recipes, see link below:
Should I be drinking wine?
Of course You should!
Resveratrol, a trihydroxy stilbene derivative C14H12O3 that is found in some plants, fruits, seeds, and grape-derived products (such as red wine) and has been linked to a reduced risk of coronary disease and cancer, and may be the wonder ingredient responsible for many of wine’s benefits.
See these fourteen benefits of wine to prove this to you!
1. You live Longer! People living in places in the world with high wine consumption, are living longer, also according to dietary patterns.
Researchers at Harvard Medical School uncovered evidence that resveratrol directly activates a protein that promotes health and longevity in animal models.
- 2. You get Smarter and Resveratrol may help improve short-term memory
- 3. Inhibit breakouts because of the antioxidants in wine, and Resveratrol is able to inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria longer than benzoyl peroxide
- 4. Going to the gym is healthy right? It improves heart, brain and bone function. You know what else does that? Resveratrol, which is in wine.
5.Researchers in Spain found that those who drank two to seven glasses of wine per week were less likely to be diagnosed with depression, so Bye Bye Blues!
6. Modest wine consumption, defined as one glass a day, may decrease the prevalence of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Challenging any other alcohol consumption.
7. Promotes Eye health, as Resveratrol stops out-of-control blood vessel growth in the eyes.
8. Wine reduces bacteria on your teeth!
9. Wine cut Cancer Risks:
Red grapes are the fruit best able to suppress the activity of aromatase, the enzyme used by breast tumors to produce their own estrogen – this is called an aromatase inhibitor.
Studies show that moderate consumption of red wine can reduce the risk of colon cancer by 50%.
Harvard Men’s Wealth Watch reports that men who drink an average of four to seven glasses of red wine per week have a 52% less chance of being diagnosed with prostate cancer compared to those who don’t drink wine. Doctors speculate that flavonoids and resveratrol contain potent antioxidants and may counterbalance androgens, the male hormones that stimulate the prostate.
10. Studies show that those who drank wine were less likely to come down with a cold compared to those that drank beer or spirits. Antioxidants help lower inflammation and reduce the symptoms of colds.
11. Wine’s Resveratrol, lower cholesterol.
12. Wine shows benefits of reducing risk of stroke, where beer and hard liquor do not.
13. Regulating Blood Sugars
The amount of polyphenols in a small glass of red wine appears to rival the blood sugar regulating activity of certain diabetes drugs.
14. Those who drink wine moderately have 30% lower risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. This can be due to Resveratrol, as it improves sensitivity to Insulin.
SO, Bottom line: Wine can be a part of a healthy lifestyle, IF CONSUMED MODERATELY!
Your body tells you what your lips cannot.
Hang on here – I have this money, but I hate how I spend my life making it.
There’s another way to live and work, even though you can’t see it yet.