Category Archives: Interesting facts
Growing body of research shows artificial sweeteners raise your risk of both obesity and Type 2 diabetes — perhaps even to a greater degree than sugar.
Unfortunately, many people mistaken the facts thinking that artificial sweeteners in products are a healthier option , as they are low calories, but this is such a misconception. It boggles my mind thinking that some people may choose diet drinks or sweet and low sweeteners in order to avoid gaining weight but truth is obesity stems from these artificially sweetened products and processed foods. Fact is, artificial sweeteners cause just as many health problems as sugar does. More deterrent, unlike sugar, artificial sweeteners were found to accumulate in blood, leading to more significant damage to blood vessels.
A disturbing fact about artificial sweeteners is that they are also found to trick the body into using alternative sources of glucose, such as muscle. So, when you are thinking you are trying to lose fat by having artificial sweeteners , think twice, because you are only harming your body and losing everything you are working hard to accomplish.
Sweeteners simply trick the body. And then when your body’s not getting the energy it needs to function properly, due to lack of sugar, it finds that source elsewhere, therefore wears your body down from actually doing the proper functions.
Contrary to industry claims, research over the last 30 years have shown that artificial sweeteners stimulate appetite, increase cravings for carbs, and produce a variety of metabolic dysfunctions that promote fat storage and weight gain.
Next time you want to save on fat, and have a “DIET coke”, take a second to think twice.
Watch this video for more detrimental effects of Aspartame:
For more details on the Artificial Sweeteners effects, read the Mercola Article.
When coffee beans are roasted, acrylamide forms as a byproduct, it is in the cooking process. This byproduct is what scientists have determined could be cancerous in high doses. Again, coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of several types of cancer, and not to mention the dose in coffee does not seem to trouble researches.
March 28, 2018, a California judge ruled that Starbucks and other coffee shops will have to include warnings saying it contains a substance that could cause cancer.
It’s also one of the many chemicals in cigarette smoke, though in higher amounts than produced in coffee-making. The amount of acrylamide in coffee shows no evidence of danger.
At least one major review of studies found that the more coffee that people drink, the lower their risk of liver cirrhosis or liver cancer. And a review of more than 200 studies found that people who drank three or four cups of coffee a day were 19% less likely to die from cardiovascular disease. Heavy coffee drinkers have an 18% reduced risk of cancer overall, according to one large study, and some data indicates that coffee drinkers may be less likely to have oral or pharyngeal cancer or advanced prostate cancer.
Bottom line, be aware that this by-product is in your coffee, however the risks are lower than the benefits of coffee.
Read more in business Insider
Why is it so hard to achieve a HEALTHY BALANCED DIET?
Sadly, companies have a lot to do with this… The labelling, the word choice, the false advertisement. We live in a world full of deceit and lies.
It is what is, almost everything nowadays is processed food and finding healthy whole organic food is close to none as even when some foods are claimed to be healthy, they are actually not.
Health Canada proposed new regulations that would require companies to add warning labels to all packaged foods that are high in saturated fat, sugar or sodium. According to Global News
Here are Some acclaimed myths to be wary of:
- Artificial Sweeteners have no Sugar and therefore good for weight loss: That is so deceitful it hurts. Artificial Sweetener should never be used as a “healthier” option. In fact sweetener is worse for your weight and it is in fact proven to be linked to weight gain, diabetes and high blood pressure. The Aspartame inside it, in the contrary, makes our bodies CRAVE more Sweets and diminish our body’s ability to LOSE the food that we ate.
- Milk is often considered the best source of Calcium: Growing up we have all been told that milk strengthens our bones and keeps us strong. That is not completely factual. The truth is, you get better calcium in eating dark leafy greens, almonds or salmon.
- Saturated Fat is BAD for you: I have personally questioned myself on this one few times, and unlike the common beliefs, however Saturated fats are found in almost everything, including good foods (avocado, coconut), and more processed foods. Saturated fats can be good, it is the TRANS FAT that you must avoid, as they increase bad cholesterol and reduce the good cholesterol. Saturated fat in fact is needed for brain health and building cell membrane.
- Eggs have been viewed to increase cardiovascular disease: That is absolutely untrue, as they are very healthy for you and provide you will a great amount of protein and vitamin D, including the yolk which offers healthy cholesterol.
- All fats lead to weight gain: while over consuming fat can definitely lead you to gain weight, not all fat is bad for you. In fact, a healthy diet includes healthy fats, such as olive oil, nut, avocado, and more as these actually help you lose weight through a balanced diet with fats that keep you full for a longer time while providing our body with good nutrients.
- Salt should completely be avoided: I am one to avoid Salt, but fact is, avoiding salt has been linked to health issues such as headaches, fatigue, nausea, and low blood sugar. In fact, Bednarski suggests that instead of avoiding salt, may be better eating less processed salt that has been bleached, and trying pink Himalayan salt instead. It provides 84 trace minerals to the body.
- Juice with NO ADDED SUGAR is healthy: Marketing and labelling is commonly false and this leads to confusion for people. Truth is, a cup of orange juice is practically the same as having a cup of Pepsi. Opt for eating the fruit instead.
When you turn fruit into juice, you are losing the insoluble fibre, which is an essential nutrient and helps delay absorption of the sugar. Take the fibre away and you’re just drinking sugar and calories. There’s some vitamin C, but you would be better off taking a vitamin pill for that. According to Robert Lustig (BBC News).
Consider a New You…. Research and Assess. EAT HEALTHY.
Waking up early to workout is NOT over-rated. Working out in the AM is the Ultimate workout. You want to loose the most Fast reserve in your body? Do it before breakfast.
When’s the best time to exercise to ensure you’re getting the most out of it?
It really does Pay Not to Snooze, and wake up for an early workout.
Why? Because working out before breakfast helps you speed up the weight loss and actually boost your energy throughout the day, in turn preparing your body to an all day fat burn, and pushing your body to tap into its fat reserves for fuel, as opposed to burning off your most recent meal.
A fasted workout is the best Workout. So next time you want to Snooze and sleep in, think about your progress and your hard work. It is much harder after breakfast than before breakfast. Why not speed up your progress and do it right?
THINK ABOUT IT & COMMIT!
For more, Lose Weight – Business Insider.
Losing weight is a constant struggle, I have tried various methods, diets, workouts. To be honest, lets make it simple.
EAT WELL, EXERCISE WELL, DONT KILL YOURSELF AND DONT STRIP YOURSELF FROM HAPPINESS.
Cutting FAT, cutting CARBS, cutting SUGAR, starving yourself. You are doing it all the wrong way. How about you focus on what really matters, because your body needs fat, carbs, sugar, and damn right can’t be starved, not if you want to also Work out and BE HEALTHY.
So here is the Trick, I will send you off to a nice ENTERTAINING ride that will shock you but you will realise that this way will be healthy and reachable for you.
Here are 23 Weight Loss Tips for you to best lose it. Don’t DIET, just Finally DO-IT.
A study published in the journal Memory suggests that
Saying words out loud can help you to remember them.
Canadian researcher, Colin MacLeod, a psychology professor at the University of Waterloo discovered this study and coined it: “production effect”. Speaking something out loud results in variations of the production effect on memory. Typing something out, mouthing it, or writing it down also helps, but just not as much as speaking it loudly.
MacLeod first identified the production effect in 2010, His team tested four ways of remembering by asking students to read a list of words silently, read them out loud, listen to someone else read them and listen to a recording of their own voice repeating the words. Then the students were asked to look at a long list of words and remember which ones they’d already seen.
“Silent was the worst,” MacLeod says. “It’s a little better to hear someone else’s voice. It’s better still to hear your own voice, but it’s best to produce [the word] yourself and both hear your own voice and move your own mouth.”
Another way that vocalization improves memory is in short term memory in everyday life, such as “I turned off the stove”; saying it out loud will help you remember that and wont affect you as you leave the house wondering if your house will burn down or not.
So, lesson of the day today is repeat out loud to better your memory!
Infants that are held less by caregivers show lasting changes to genes involved in immune response and metabolism, according to a study of children from British Columbia. Ottawa Citizen
If you have had a baby or know someone that has a baby, you will know that there is this unknown in baby cuddling… Should you hold the baby when they cry, should you not… So many questions, some fear that not holding them will result in attachment issues and other from the other spectrum believe that over holding them will result in attachment issues. Tough one right?
It is, but recent BC studies have shown that fussy babies that are cuddled regularly are more likely to develop normally than those who are cuddled the least. I have friends with babies and this article struck me. To be honest, I am glad to read this because although I do not have children, this particular question has always caught my attention. You can potentially ruin your child’s personality if you make one wrong move. There are so many ifs and buts, there are so many whys and hows, so many what should I do and what consequences am I looking for.
I can rest at least reassured that you really should not ignore a crying baby … imagine how they must feel, they are crying for comfort, and no one is coming, as a new born. I can imagine myself as an adult, crying in my room and my family completely ignoring me. That would alter me, that would ruin me, it would affect my trust in my family, in anyone, it would nurture resentment, independence, lack of trust, and so much more. So as I stand today, I will never ignore my baby, I will never let my blood cry on their own while I purposely ignore them. It is so sad to think of what they may be thinking and not even able to express themselves verbally. Maybe they had a really bad dream and just need that reassurance, maybe they are babies that had something happen to them in the womb and need to be comforted until they can be more independent on their own. Never ignore your baby when they are crying, no matter how fussy they may be. Support your baby, support their healthy growth, love them unconditionally.
Put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes, imagine every scenario…. Do you have the heart? Your flesh, your blood, your baby. The thought makes me so sad.
You may not be aware of this, but keeping the same sunglasses for longer than 2 years can damage your eyes.
Sunglasses should be changed every two years to protect eyes from sun damage say scientists
Exposure to the sun is now believed to wear down the protective lensing of your sunglasses, causing damage to your eyes, and Designer sunglasses now have a shelf life of only two years. Scientists have undertaken studies to measure the scale of deterioration due to exposure to the sun and have confirmed that if sunglasses aren’t replaced, the wearer runs the risk of long-term degeneration of vision.
The aim is to ensure lenses have sufficient UV filters as inadequate levels could affect the cornea and internal structure of the eye. When this happens, edema or swelling to the eye can cause distorted vision. Pterygium or the growth of fleshy pink tissue on the white of the eye can also affect vision while other side effects can result in retina damage or cataracts.
This is a lesson, to not take your eyes for granted and take care of your eyes, your vision is all you have.
So What is MCT?
Don’t worry, I just learned about it too. I was looking into the Ketosis, which included the intake of MCTs in the diet… So, I ended up focusing on MTCs instead of the Ketosis as a whole.
If you don’t know what that is, Ketosis is when your body is burning ketones for energy instead of glucose (carbs/sugar), but that will be a blog for another day.
“MCTs are medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management.
Rich sources for commercial extraction of beneficial MCTs include palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Coconut oil has roughly 65% of MCTs, and other lower sources of MCT are also found in butter, cheeses, whole milk and full-fat yogurt.
What makes MCTs a top source of essential healthy fats? Medium-chain fats are digested easily and sent directly to your liver, where they have a thermogenic effect and the ability to positively alter your metabolism. This is one reason why many people claim that MCTs, including coconut oil, are burned by the body for energy, or “fuel,” instead of being stored as fat.
Now, some amazing health benefits of MCT are:
- Weight Loss or Weight Maintenance
- Heart Health: it helps help decrease cardiovascular disease and mortality risk due to its metabolic component as it helps lower obese risk.
- Improved energy levels and mood; Your brain is largely made up of fatty acids, MCTs give you that supply from your diet to feel great and think positive, with its vitamins and minerals.
- Improved digestion and absorption of nutrition, by balancing bacteria in the gut and its ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.
Medium-chain fats can help kill a wide range of pathogenic viruses and strains and bacteria that cause digestive issues, including candida, constipation, diarrhea, food poisoning, stomachaches and so on.
- Its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties: MCTs are able to reduce bad bacteria without harming or removing good bacteria. they are also a powerful and natural antibiotics that help balance bacteria in the gut.
- they are great for cooking with, as they don’t oxidize from heat easily and can withstand high temperatures, while still not becoming rancid or losing its nutrients.
Anyways, I won’t get too into it, because this graph will explain it all in a nutshell.