Category Archives: Interesting facts
You may not be aware of this, but keeping the same sunglasses for longer than 2 years can damage your eyes.
Sunglasses should be changed every two years to protect eyes from sun damage say scientists
Exposure to the sun is now believed to wear down the protective lensing of your sunglasses, causing damage to your eyes, and Designer sunglasses now have a shelf life of only two years. Scientists have undertaken studies to measure the scale of deterioration due to exposure to the sun and have confirmed that if sunglasses aren’t replaced, the wearer runs the risk of long-term degeneration of vision.
The aim is to ensure lenses have sufficient UV filters as inadequate levels could affect the cornea and internal structure of the eye. When this happens, edema or swelling to the eye can cause distorted vision. Pterygium or the growth of fleshy pink tissue on the white of the eye can also affect vision while other side effects can result in retina damage or cataracts.
This is a lesson, to not take your eyes for granted and take care of your eyes, your vision is all you have.
So What is MCT?
Don’t worry, I just learned about it too. I was looking into the Ketosis, which included the intake of MCTs in the diet… So, I ended up focusing on MTCs instead of the Ketosis as a whole.
If you don’t know what that is, Ketosis is when your body is burning ketones for energy instead of glucose (carbs/sugar), but that will be a blog for another day.
“MCTs are medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management.
Rich sources for commercial extraction of beneficial MCTs include palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Coconut oil has roughly 65% of MCTs, and other lower sources of MCT are also found in butter, cheeses, whole milk and full-fat yogurt.
What makes MCTs a top source of essential healthy fats? Medium-chain fats are digested easily and sent directly to your liver, where they have a thermogenic effect and the ability to positively alter your metabolism. This is one reason why many people claim that MCTs, including coconut oil, are burned by the body for energy, or “fuel,” instead of being stored as fat.
Now, some amazing health benefits of MCT are:
- Weight Loss or Weight Maintenance
- Heart Health: it helps help decrease cardiovascular disease and mortality risk due to its metabolic component as it helps lower obese risk.
- Improved energy levels and mood; Your brain is largely made up of fatty acids, MCTs give you that supply from your diet to feel great and think positive, with its vitamins and minerals.
- Improved digestion and absorption of nutrition, by balancing bacteria in the gut and its ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.
Medium-chain fats can help kill a wide range of pathogenic viruses and strains and bacteria that cause digestive issues, including candida, constipation, diarrhea, food poisoning, stomachaches and so on.
- Its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties: MCTs are able to reduce bad bacteria without harming or removing good bacteria. they are also a powerful and natural antibiotics that help balance bacteria in the gut.
- they are great for cooking with, as they don’t oxidize from heat easily and can withstand high temperatures, while still not becoming rancid or losing its nutrients.
Anyways, I won’t get too into it, because this graph will explain it all in a nutshell.
What’s coming to your mind? Let me guess, Edamame, celery, all that healthy jazz, … Not even, I am talking about Popcorn. Yes Popcorn.
Why? One big reason is because of the high Polyphenol content within it.
Polyphenols are a type of chemical found in plant foods that help neutralise free radicals that damage your cells and contribute to rapid aging. Popcorn has one of the highest levels of polyphenols of any plant food or fruit.
Per serving, plain popcorn contains nearly twice as many polyphenols as the average fruit, according to the preliminary results of a laboratory analysis presented today at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society.
A single serving of popcorn – about two tablespoons of unpopped kernels – contained up to 300 milligrams of polyphenols, the researchers found. By contrast, the average polyphenol content of fruit is about 160 milligrams per serving, while a single serving of sweet corn contains 114 milligrams.
Popcorn is one of the healthiest, low calorie munchies. It is a whole-grain food and a great source of fiber.
We also cannot forget, Popcorn is also PACKED with Antioxidants.
Some types of polyphenols are pigments, and in fruit the biggest concentrations tend to be found in the skin and seeds. Similarly, the hull or outer skin of the corn kernel – the stuff that gets stuck in your teeth when you’re munching away – was the richest polyphenol source.
And this is where your antioxidants and your fiber lies, so don’t go throwing them out.
Now, don’t run too fast, Popcorn is Healthy, but be careful what you call Popcorn.
Movie popcorn, drenched with butter, full of sweet crap… that’s NOT healthy popcorn. That one is simply synthetic factory fats and processed salt used to flavor popcorn and overrides any health benefits.
Microwave popcorn and pre-popped varieties, also NOT healthy popcorn, as it is loaded with chemicals such as partially hydrogenated oils and synthetics for flavouring and colouring.
The best, Healthiest Popcorn to have is the one YOU MAKE, by getting organic kernels and popping them yourself with coconut oil for taste and health. You want to add some flavour? Try Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, Parmesan cheese, oregano or even basil.
Now, remember that popcorn is 100% whole grain; and eating more whole grains has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
However, as with anything, just because it is healthy and beneficial, over-eating it will have it’s consequences.
Corn that is not soaked or sprouted prior to cooking contains anti-nutrients that can inflame digestion if consumed to excess.
Allergic to corn? No problem, try Popped Sorghum, which is India’s popcorn alternative.
You want to make your own popcorn and don’t know how, check out how:
For more details, see:
Celery is not the most Tasteful… but Damn is it Beneficial!
Celery is an under-Rated vegetable as many of us think its just Water and Crunch, but it is much more; as it is a good source of calcium, vitamins, potassium and magnesium.
What Other Benefits?
- Celery has Anti-Canceous properties, with its rich component called Luteolin which helps to lower the growth of Cancer cells in the pancreas.
- It contains Phthalide and pottassium which helps to lower blood pressure by reducing the production of stress hormones.
- Celery also helps maintain a normal cholesterol and regulating Vitamin D. Also includes 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh), a component with the function of lowering cholesterol and maintaining a healthy heart. The Chicago University study showed that two stalks of celery a day can reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) by up to 7 points.
- Celery is healthy for the eyes too, as it contains Vitamin E and antioxidants like flavonoids and polyphenol phytonutrients, which keeps the eye moisturised.
- Hippocrates, the father of medicine, wrote that Celery is a vegetable that can be used to calm our nerves and provide a great relief to joint pains, asthma, acne or lung infections. Celery’s special benefit is its components to help reduce inflammation.
- Celery helps boost a man’s fertility, as Dr. Alan R. Hirsch, Director of the Smeel and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, says :
Two pheromones in celery–androstenone and androstenol–can boost your arousal levels. Another good news is celery oil has been found effective in boosting the number and motility of sperm, when it is used together with vitamin E.
- These stalks improve digestion which allows your body to absorb better nutrients, with its high water content, and the NBP (a healthful compound) in the vegetable as it improved circulation in the intestines and helping the body to detox.
- Finally, it helps you lose weight as it is low in calorie (10 calories per large stalk) and rich in nutrients like magnesium and potassium, as previously mentioned. Celery helps you regulate lipids and fats in the body which controls metabolism and restricts obesity. Not to mention, in reality, you are losing more weight chewing on that stalk more than anything else. So moral of the story, eating celery makes you lose weight, and don’t take that lightly because it’s true.
For more details and some Celery recipes, see link below:
Should I be drinking wine?
Of course You should!
Resveratrol, a trihydroxy stilbene derivative C14H12O3 that is found in some plants, fruits, seeds, and grape-derived products (such as red wine) and has been linked to a reduced risk of coronary disease and cancer, and may be the wonder ingredient responsible for many of wine’s benefits.
See these fourteen benefits of wine to prove this to you!
1. You live Longer! People living in places in the world with high wine consumption, are living longer, also according to dietary patterns.
Researchers at Harvard Medical School uncovered evidence that resveratrol directly activates a protein that promotes health and longevity in animal models.
- 2. You get Smarter and Resveratrol may help improve short-term memory
- 3. Inhibit breakouts because of the antioxidants in wine, and Resveratrol is able to inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria longer than benzoyl peroxide
- 4. Going to the gym is healthy right? It improves heart, brain and bone function. You know what else does that? Resveratrol, which is in wine.
5.Researchers in Spain found that those who drank two to seven glasses of wine per week were less likely to be diagnosed with depression, so Bye Bye Blues!
6. Modest wine consumption, defined as one glass a day, may decrease the prevalence of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Challenging any other alcohol consumption.
7. Promotes Eye health, as Resveratrol stops out-of-control blood vessel growth in the eyes.
8. Wine reduces bacteria on your teeth!
9. Wine cut Cancer Risks:
Red grapes are the fruit best able to suppress the activity of aromatase, the enzyme used by breast tumors to produce their own estrogen – this is called an aromatase inhibitor.
Studies show that moderate consumption of red wine can reduce the risk of colon cancer by 50%.
Harvard Men’s Wealth Watch reports that men who drink an average of four to seven glasses of red wine per week have a 52% less chance of being diagnosed with prostate cancer compared to those who don’t drink wine. Doctors speculate that flavonoids and resveratrol contain potent antioxidants and may counterbalance androgens, the male hormones that stimulate the prostate.
10. Studies show that those who drank wine were less likely to come down with a cold compared to those that drank beer or spirits. Antioxidants help lower inflammation and reduce the symptoms of colds.
11. Wine’s Resveratrol, lower cholesterol.
12. Wine shows benefits of reducing risk of stroke, where beer and hard liquor do not.
13. Regulating Blood Sugars
The amount of polyphenols in a small glass of red wine appears to rival the blood sugar regulating activity of certain diabetes drugs.
14. Those who drink wine moderately have 30% lower risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. This can be due to Resveratrol, as it improves sensitivity to Insulin.
SO, Bottom line: Wine can be a part of a healthy lifestyle, IF CONSUMED MODERATELY!
I was listening to this video while driving to work in the morning, and found myself dumbfounded with how right this guy is.
First of All. We have grown up in a society where things are just given to us, we don’t work for things, life has been given to us, sadly for some of us, our parents baby us and we end up growing older feeling that we will get what we want, but YOU NEED TO WORK FOR IT. Most of us try to work for something and as soon as we notice it is taking a lot of work, we stop and move to the next thing, but why can’t we live with purpose?
Second of All. Technology and how it has ruined us. Can we sit on a table without our phones beside us on the table? Can we wake up without looking if someone LIKED our photos on Facebook?
CAN YOU CHANGE IN 2017? STOP LIVING OFF YOUR PHONE!
I know that the phone is one of my Resolutions for 2017. I am a VICTIM of this non sense and waste of life.
I hate the phone.. I sometimes sit with my friends at a restaurant and I might as well be sitting alone. Phones are evil if you ask me, they used to be for the sole purpose of safety and conversation, however when you are safe and conversing with someone, why do you need to waste your time on the phone?
Socialising is no longer fun. You sometimes go out with a group of people and more than half of them are on the phone, Social Media is one of the culprits. HOW IS THAT QUALITY TIME? Why are you even meeting? What about when you are out with a friend and all they do is “text” someone else, that is not even there; it is clear that you are not as important, you are not as interesting, you might as well not be there.
If you are sitting at dinner with your friends and you are texting someone who is not there, that is a problem!
I hate phones, how would a simple outing go without phones? God Forbid, you get their full attention and you actually have a decent conversation, a decent time. Wake up, you are living in a society where you rather talk to an object than talk to a person.
Third of All. Instant gratification is a problem these days, people have no patience to wait for things anymore. This generation is problematic. People have no time to find love, to accomplish something, to finding a fulfilment in their life.
Please watch this video, It will change your life. It really should.
What comes to mind?
In reality, when making eggs, many throw away the egg yolk and make egg whites, but truly, if you’re going to throw out anything, it”s actually the white, because the actually nutrition is in the middle.
I am guilty too, don’t worry. For the longest time, I have been minimising my yolk intake drastically to stay away from the demons I believed the Yolks had but boy was I ever wrong. That is not to say I will be abusing egg yolks from hereon, I mean all healthy things in fair consumption make sense.
Eliminating egg yolks from your diet for fear of fat and cholesterol is actually depriving your body of important nutrition, and these will come to light throughout this article.
Here you are, the FACTS:
1. They have so many Vitamins and Minerals!
|3 Egg yolks contain… (%DV)*||3 egg whites contain…(%DV)|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1)||6%||0|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B3)||15%||27%|
|Folate (Vitamin B9)||18%||0|
|Choline||348 mg||1.2 mg|
Reference: An egg yolk a day keeps the doctor away
2. They have phospholipids, which is a type of fat important for building cell membranes, and promoting cardiovascular health, metabolic health, as well as memory and cognitive function.
3. They have Antioxidants
4. Egg yolks have Carotenoids, showing promise for promoting eye health, lowering the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts and other eye diseases.
Reference: What are the Benefits of Egg Yolks?
Be careful, that is not to say egg whites are not good for you, they are filled with Protein, but that pretty much all they are, compared to their counterpart.
Now for the Top Ten Proven Health Benefits of Eggs according to Authority Nutrition:
Whole eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet, containing a little bit of almost every nutrient we need. Omega-3 enriched and/or pastured eggs are even healthier.
Eggs are high in cholesterol, but eating eggs does not have adverse effects on cholesterol in the blood for the majority of people.
Egg consumption consistently leads to elevated levels of HDL (the “good”) cholesterol, which is linked to a reduced risk of many diseases.
Eggs are among the best dietary sources of choline, a nutrient that is incredibly important but most people aren’t getting enough of.
Egg consumption appears to change the pattern of LDL particles from small, dense LDL (bad) to large LDL, which is linked to a reduced heart disease risk.
The antioxidants Lutein and Zeaxanthin are very important for eye health and can help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts. Eggs are high in both of them.
Omega-3 enriched and pastured eggs contain significant amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids. Eating these types of eggs is an effective way to reduce blood triglycerides.
Eggs are fairly high in quality animal protein and contain all the essential amino acids that humans need.
Many studies have looked at egg consumption and the risk of heart disease and found no association. However, some studies have found an increased risk in people with type 2 diabetes.
Eggs are highly fulfilling and tend to make you eat fewer calories, helping you to lose weight
SO, Bottom line…
DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR EGG YOLK AND SIMPLY EAT THE EGG WHITES, DON’T MISS OUT!
It is a growing concern, CrossFit, but what’s the deal? Is it bad for you? Is it good for you? Truth is, I really want to give it a chance. I mean yes, I’ve read from the critics and from the lovers. It seems that though CrossFit may cause injuries, so does every other workout. Any inexperience person will hurt themselves if they divert their form.
So, this article from Body Building has said it right, and explains why CrossFit has been dogmatized in many shapes and forms, and while some may be true, it is not fair to solely criticize it as being the only system that can negatively impact your body, as any system, not performed correctly can harm you. This goes beyond simply training, and also applies to everything in life.
WHAT IS CROSSFIT?
In the simplest of terms, CrossFit can be defined as a strength and conditioning system that is designed to promote both broad and targeted physical fitness. The system combines a wide variety of exercises to ensure that a total fitness level is achieved, ensuring balance in the body. This is obtained through a combination of workouts in:
- Weight lifting or Weight training
- Sprinting or Distance Running
In order to gain the most benefit from the CrossFit program, someone training through CrossFit should be at least moderately familiar or proficient in key areas that equal what CrossFit refers to as “10 fitness domains”:
- Respiratory and cardio endurance
CrossFit was created to focus on working across each of the 10 domains. According to CrossFit, this is achieved by promoting neurological and hormonal adaptations across all of the metabolic pathways is in the body.
CrossFit, inevitably, has a reputation, but judging from word of mouth and a ‘reputation’, that is not my thing and should never become yours. Always create your own opinions and conclusions in life. Otherwise, you may miss out in Life.
I will see you on the CrossFit field!
Do you crave your body’s constant growth? Does every vein that comes out give you a high? I am there… You want to build muscle, it’s not all workout. Food has alot of work into it. So lets take a look at this… What helps you build muscle?
I saw this article that made me jump. So Jump with me!
Organic Pastured Beef, Cold water Fish, Kefir, Coconut Oil, Quinoa, Nuts, Berries and Cherries, Green tea, Asparagus and Cinnamon.
All these will help you burn to muscle, so read more on why and how in Muscle Foods… and work it!