Category Archives: Interesting facts
Losing weight is a constant struggle, I have tried various methods, diets, workouts. To be honest, lets make it simple.
EAT WELL, EXERCISE WELL, DONT KILL YOURSELF AND DONT STRIP YOURSELF FROM HAPPINESS.
Cutting FAT, cutting CARBS, cutting SUGAR, starving yourself. You are doing it all the wrong way. How about you focus on what really matters, because your body needs fat, carbs, sugar, and damn right can’t be starved, not if you want to also Work out and BE HEALTHY.
So here is the Trick, I will send you off to a nice ENTERTAINING ride that will shock you but you will realise that this way will be healthy and reachable for you.
Here are 23 Weight Loss Tips for you to best lose it. Don’t DIET, just Finally DO-IT.
A study published in the journal Memory suggests that
Saying words out loud can help you to remember them.
Canadian researcher, Colin MacLeod, a psychology professor at the University of Waterloo discovered this study and coined it: “production effect”. Speaking something out loud results in variations of the production effect on memory. Typing something out, mouthing it, or writing it down also helps, but just not as much as speaking it loudly.
MacLeod first identified the production effect in 2010, His team tested four ways of remembering by asking students to read a list of words silently, read them out loud, listen to someone else read them and listen to a recording of their own voice repeating the words. Then the students were asked to look at a long list of words and remember which ones they’d already seen.
“Silent was the worst,” MacLeod says. “It’s a little better to hear someone else’s voice. It’s better still to hear your own voice, but it’s best to produce [the word] yourself and both hear your own voice and move your own mouth.”
Another way that vocalization improves memory is in short term memory in everyday life, such as “I turned off the stove”; saying it out loud will help you remember that and wont affect you as you leave the house wondering if your house will burn down or not.
So, lesson of the day today is repeat out loud to better your memory!
Infants that are held less by caregivers show lasting changes to genes involved in immune response and metabolism, according to a study of children from British Columbia. Ottawa Citizen
If you have had a baby or know someone that has a baby, you will know that there is this unknown in baby cuddling… Should you hold the baby when they cry, should you not… So many questions, some fear that not holding them will result in attachment issues and other from the other spectrum believe that over holding them will result in attachment issues. Tough one right?
It is, but recent BC studies have shown that fussy babies that are cuddled regularly are more likely to develop normally than those who are cuddled the least. I have friends with babies and this article struck me. To be honest, I am glad to read this because although I do not have children, this particular question has always caught my attention. You can potentially ruin your child’s personality if you make one wrong move. There are so many ifs and buts, there are so many whys and hows, so many what should I do and what consequences am I looking for.
I can rest at least reassured that you really should not ignore a crying baby … imagine how they must feel, they are crying for comfort, and no one is coming, as a new born. I can imagine myself as an adult, crying in my room and my family completely ignoring me. That would alter me, that would ruin me, it would affect my trust in my family, in anyone, it would nurture resentment, independence, lack of trust, and so much more. So as I stand today, I will never ignore my baby, I will never let my blood cry on their own while I purposely ignore them. It is so sad to think of what they may be thinking and not even able to express themselves verbally. Maybe they had a really bad dream and just need that reassurance, maybe they are babies that had something happen to them in the womb and need to be comforted until they can be more independent on their own. Never ignore your baby when they are crying, no matter how fussy they may be. Support your baby, support their healthy growth, love them unconditionally.
Put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes, imagine every scenario…. Do you have the heart? Your flesh, your blood, your baby. The thought makes me so sad.
You may not be aware of this, but keeping the same sunglasses for longer than 2 years can damage your eyes.
Sunglasses should be changed every two years to protect eyes from sun damage say scientists
Exposure to the sun is now believed to wear down the protective lensing of your sunglasses, causing damage to your eyes, and Designer sunglasses now have a shelf life of only two years. Scientists have undertaken studies to measure the scale of deterioration due to exposure to the sun and have confirmed that if sunglasses aren’t replaced, the wearer runs the risk of long-term degeneration of vision.
The aim is to ensure lenses have sufficient UV filters as inadequate levels could affect the cornea and internal structure of the eye. When this happens, edema or swelling to the eye can cause distorted vision. Pterygium or the growth of fleshy pink tissue on the white of the eye can also affect vision while other side effects can result in retina damage or cataracts.
This is a lesson, to not take your eyes for granted and take care of your eyes, your vision is all you have.
So What is MCT?
Don’t worry, I just learned about it too. I was looking into the Ketosis, which included the intake of MCTs in the diet… So, I ended up focusing on MTCs instead of the Ketosis as a whole.
If you don’t know what that is, Ketosis is when your body is burning ketones for energy instead of glucose (carbs/sugar), but that will be a blog for another day.
“MCTs are medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management.
Rich sources for commercial extraction of beneficial MCTs include palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Coconut oil has roughly 65% of MCTs, and other lower sources of MCT are also found in butter, cheeses, whole milk and full-fat yogurt.
What makes MCTs a top source of essential healthy fats? Medium-chain fats are digested easily and sent directly to your liver, where they have a thermogenic effect and the ability to positively alter your metabolism. This is one reason why many people claim that MCTs, including coconut oil, are burned by the body for energy, or “fuel,” instead of being stored as fat.
Now, some amazing health benefits of MCT are:
- Weight Loss or Weight Maintenance
- Heart Health: it helps help decrease cardiovascular disease and mortality risk due to its metabolic component as it helps lower obese risk.
- Improved energy levels and mood; Your brain is largely made up of fatty acids, MCTs give you that supply from your diet to feel great and think positive, with its vitamins and minerals.
- Improved digestion and absorption of nutrition, by balancing bacteria in the gut and its ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.
Medium-chain fats can help kill a wide range of pathogenic viruses and strains and bacteria that cause digestive issues, including candida, constipation, diarrhea, food poisoning, stomachaches and so on.
- Its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties: MCTs are able to reduce bad bacteria without harming or removing good bacteria. they are also a powerful and natural antibiotics that help balance bacteria in the gut.
- they are great for cooking with, as they don’t oxidize from heat easily and can withstand high temperatures, while still not becoming rancid or losing its nutrients.
Anyways, I won’t get too into it, because this graph will explain it all in a nutshell.
What’s coming to your mind? Let me guess, Edamame, celery, all that healthy jazz, … Not even, I am talking about Popcorn. Yes Popcorn.
Why? One big reason is because of the high Polyphenol content within it.
Polyphenols are a type of chemical found in plant foods that help neutralise free radicals that damage your cells and contribute to rapid aging. Popcorn has one of the highest levels of polyphenols of any plant food or fruit.
Per serving, plain popcorn contains nearly twice as many polyphenols as the average fruit, according to the preliminary results of a laboratory analysis presented today at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society.
A single serving of popcorn – about two tablespoons of unpopped kernels – contained up to 300 milligrams of polyphenols, the researchers found. By contrast, the average polyphenol content of fruit is about 160 milligrams per serving, while a single serving of sweet corn contains 114 milligrams.
Popcorn is one of the healthiest, low calorie munchies. It is a whole-grain food and a great source of fiber.
We also cannot forget, Popcorn is also PACKED with Antioxidants.
Some types of polyphenols are pigments, and in fruit the biggest concentrations tend to be found in the skin and seeds. Similarly, the hull or outer skin of the corn kernel – the stuff that gets stuck in your teeth when you’re munching away – was the richest polyphenol source.
And this is where your antioxidants and your fiber lies, so don’t go throwing them out.
Now, don’t run too fast, Popcorn is Healthy, but be careful what you call Popcorn.
Movie popcorn, drenched with butter, full of sweet crap… that’s NOT healthy popcorn. That one is simply synthetic factory fats and processed salt used to flavor popcorn and overrides any health benefits.
Microwave popcorn and pre-popped varieties, also NOT healthy popcorn, as it is loaded with chemicals such as partially hydrogenated oils and synthetics for flavouring and colouring.
The best, Healthiest Popcorn to have is the one YOU MAKE, by getting organic kernels and popping them yourself with coconut oil for taste and health. You want to add some flavour? Try Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, Parmesan cheese, oregano or even basil.
Now, remember that popcorn is 100% whole grain; and eating more whole grains has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
However, as with anything, just because it is healthy and beneficial, over-eating it will have it’s consequences.
Corn that is not soaked or sprouted prior to cooking contains anti-nutrients that can inflame digestion if consumed to excess.
Allergic to corn? No problem, try Popped Sorghum, which is India’s popcorn alternative.
You want to make your own popcorn and don’t know how, check out how:
For more details, see:
Celery is not the most Tasteful… but Damn is it Beneficial!
Celery is an under-Rated vegetable as many of us think its just Water and Crunch, but it is much more; as it is a good source of calcium, vitamins, potassium and magnesium.
What Other Benefits?
- Celery has Anti-Canceous properties, with its rich component called Luteolin which helps to lower the growth of Cancer cells in the pancreas.
- It contains Phthalide and pottassium which helps to lower blood pressure by reducing the production of stress hormones.
- Celery also helps maintain a normal cholesterol and regulating Vitamin D. Also includes 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh), a component with the function of lowering cholesterol and maintaining a healthy heart. The Chicago University study showed that two stalks of celery a day can reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) by up to 7 points.
- Celery is healthy for the eyes too, as it contains Vitamin E and antioxidants like flavonoids and polyphenol phytonutrients, which keeps the eye moisturised.
- Hippocrates, the father of medicine, wrote that Celery is a vegetable that can be used to calm our nerves and provide a great relief to joint pains, asthma, acne or lung infections. Celery’s special benefit is its components to help reduce inflammation.
- Celery helps boost a man’s fertility, as Dr. Alan R. Hirsch, Director of the Smeel and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, says :
Two pheromones in celery–androstenone and androstenol–can boost your arousal levels. Another good news is celery oil has been found effective in boosting the number and motility of sperm, when it is used together with vitamin E.
- These stalks improve digestion which allows your body to absorb better nutrients, with its high water content, and the NBP (a healthful compound) in the vegetable as it improved circulation in the intestines and helping the body to detox.
- Finally, it helps you lose weight as it is low in calorie (10 calories per large stalk) and rich in nutrients like magnesium and potassium, as previously mentioned. Celery helps you regulate lipids and fats in the body which controls metabolism and restricts obesity. Not to mention, in reality, you are losing more weight chewing on that stalk more than anything else. So moral of the story, eating celery makes you lose weight, and don’t take that lightly because it’s true.
For more details and some Celery recipes, see link below:
Should I be drinking wine?
Of course You should!
Resveratrol, a trihydroxy stilbene derivative C14H12O3 that is found in some plants, fruits, seeds, and grape-derived products (such as red wine) and has been linked to a reduced risk of coronary disease and cancer, and may be the wonder ingredient responsible for many of wine’s benefits.
See these fourteen benefits of wine to prove this to you!
1. You live Longer! People living in places in the world with high wine consumption, are living longer, also according to dietary patterns.
Researchers at Harvard Medical School uncovered evidence that resveratrol directly activates a protein that promotes health and longevity in animal models.
- 2. You get Smarter and Resveratrol may help improve short-term memory
- 3. Inhibit breakouts because of the antioxidants in wine, and Resveratrol is able to inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria longer than benzoyl peroxide
- 4. Going to the gym is healthy right? It improves heart, brain and bone function. You know what else does that? Resveratrol, which is in wine.
5.Researchers in Spain found that those who drank two to seven glasses of wine per week were less likely to be diagnosed with depression, so Bye Bye Blues!
6. Modest wine consumption, defined as one glass a day, may decrease the prevalence of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Challenging any other alcohol consumption.
7. Promotes Eye health, as Resveratrol stops out-of-control blood vessel growth in the eyes.
8. Wine reduces bacteria on your teeth!
9. Wine cut Cancer Risks:
Red grapes are the fruit best able to suppress the activity of aromatase, the enzyme used by breast tumors to produce their own estrogen – this is called an aromatase inhibitor.
Studies show that moderate consumption of red wine can reduce the risk of colon cancer by 50%.
Harvard Men’s Wealth Watch reports that men who drink an average of four to seven glasses of red wine per week have a 52% less chance of being diagnosed with prostate cancer compared to those who don’t drink wine. Doctors speculate that flavonoids and resveratrol contain potent antioxidants and may counterbalance androgens, the male hormones that stimulate the prostate.
10. Studies show that those who drank wine were less likely to come down with a cold compared to those that drank beer or spirits. Antioxidants help lower inflammation and reduce the symptoms of colds.
11. Wine’s Resveratrol, lower cholesterol.
12. Wine shows benefits of reducing risk of stroke, where beer and hard liquor do not.
13. Regulating Blood Sugars
The amount of polyphenols in a small glass of red wine appears to rival the blood sugar regulating activity of certain diabetes drugs.
14. Those who drink wine moderately have 30% lower risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. This can be due to Resveratrol, as it improves sensitivity to Insulin.
SO, Bottom line: Wine can be a part of a healthy lifestyle, IF CONSUMED MODERATELY!
I was listening to this video while driving to work in the morning, and found myself dumbfounded with how right this guy is.
First of All. We have grown up in a society where things are just given to us, we don’t work for things, life has been given to us, sadly for some of us, our parents baby us and we end up growing older feeling that we will get what we want, but YOU NEED TO WORK FOR IT. Most of us try to work for something and as soon as we notice it is taking a lot of work, we stop and move to the next thing, but why can’t we live with purpose?
Second of All. Technology and how it has ruined us. Can we sit on a table without our phones beside us on the table? Can we wake up without looking if someone LIKED our photos on Facebook?
CAN YOU CHANGE IN 2017? STOP LIVING OFF YOUR PHONE!
I know that the phone is one of my Resolutions for 2017. I am a VICTIM of this non sense and waste of life.
I hate the phone.. I sometimes sit with my friends at a restaurant and I might as well be sitting alone. Phones are evil if you ask me, they used to be for the sole purpose of safety and conversation, however when you are safe and conversing with someone, why do you need to waste your time on the phone?
Socialising is no longer fun. You sometimes go out with a group of people and more than half of them are on the phone, Social Media is one of the culprits. HOW IS THAT QUALITY TIME? Why are you even meeting? What about when you are out with a friend and all they do is “text” someone else, that is not even there; it is clear that you are not as important, you are not as interesting, you might as well not be there.
If you are sitting at dinner with your friends and you are texting someone who is not there, that is a problem!
I hate phones, how would a simple outing go without phones? God Forbid, you get their full attention and you actually have a decent conversation, a decent time. Wake up, you are living in a society where you rather talk to an object than talk to a person.
Third of All. Instant gratification is a problem these days, people have no patience to wait for things anymore. This generation is problematic. People have no time to find love, to accomplish something, to finding a fulfilment in their life.
Please watch this video, It will change your life. It really should.